top of page
  • a22162

Factory Notification

What is a factory

In Singapore, a factory is any premise where people are employed in manual labor for specific purposes. Here's a breakdown of what qualifies as a factory:

  • Activities: The main activity involves making, altering, repairing, cleaning, or breaking down any article. This also includes adapting products for sale.

  • Exclusions: Construction sites and workplaces with less than 10 employees (unless they use specific equipment or materials) are generally not considered factories.

Here are some examples of facilities that would be considered factories in Singapore:

  • Electronics assembly lines

  • Food manufacturing plants

  • Furniture workshops

  • Chemical processing plants

  • Pharmaceutical production facilities

If you're unsure whether your workplace qualifies as a factory, it's best to refer to the Ministry of Manpower's (MOM) definition and classifications:

Requirements for factories

There are two main sets of requirements for factories in Singapore:

1. Registration or Notification:

  • Workplace Safety and Health (WSH) Act: This act mandates all factories to register or notify their activities with the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) before commencing operations.

  • Registration vs. Notification:

  • Registration (Certificate of Registration - CR): Applies to factories with high-risk activities. This is a more complex process requiring MOM approval and implementing a Safety and Health Management System (SHMS).

  • Notification: Applies to factories with low-risk activities. This is a simpler one-time notification submitted through GoBusiness.

2. Additional Permits and Licenses:

Depending on your factory's specific operations, you might need additional permits or licenses from various government agencies. Here are some examples:

  • Employment Agency Licence: Required by MOM if you employ foreign workers.

  • Foreign Employee Dormitories Act Licence: Needed if you operate dormitories to house foreign workers.

  • Singapore Food Agency (SFA) Licence: Mandatory for food processing companies to operate.

  • Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Licence: Necessary for factories generating air or water pollution.



  • Identify your factory's activities to determine if you need registration or notification.

  • Check with MOM or relevant government agencies for any additional permits or licenses required for your specific operations.

Factory Notification and Registration

All factories in Singapore must notify or register their activities with the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) before they can begin operating. This is a requirement under the Workplace Safety and Health (WSH) Act.

There are two categories of registration:

  • Notification: This is for factories that engage in low-risk activities. It's a simpler process that involves submitting a one-time notification.

  • Registration: This is for factories that engage in high-risk activities. It's a more complex process that requires obtaining a Certificate of Registration (CR) from MOM.

Here's a breakdown of the process to help you get started:

1. Determining if you need Notification or Registration:

The first step is to figure out if your factory falls under the notification or registration category. You can find details and classifications on the MOM website

2. Applying for Notification or Registration:

  • Notification: The process is done online through GoBusiness You'll need to log in with your Unique Entity Number (UEN).

  • Registration: The application for a Certificate of Registration (CR) is also done on GoBusiness. The process is more involved and may require additional documents and approvals depending on the risk level of your factory activities.

Here are some helpful resources:

If you're unsure about the process or need help determining your factory's category, you can contact the Ministry of Manpower for clarification.

Apply for Notification or Registration

In Singapore, applying for Factory Notification or Registration involves different processes depending on your factory's activities. Here's a breakdown for both application processes, but keep in mind there's no physical certificate to print:

Applying for Notification (Low-Risk Activities):

How to Apply:

  1. GoBusiness Login: Head to the GoBusiness portal and log in using your Unique Entity Number (UEN).

  2. Notification Application:  Within GoBusiness, navigate to the section for Factory Notification and Registration. Choose "Notification" and proceed with the online application.

  3. Industry Category: Select the industry category that best describes your factory's activities. You might need to select "Others" if your specific activity isn't listed.

  4. Submission and Acknowledgement: Submit the completed application electronically. You'll receive an acknowledgement letter for your records, including an application number for future reference.

  5. Possible Additional Information: MOM might contact you if they require further details or documents to process your application. Ensure you respond promptly to avoid delays.

  6. Workplace Number: Once your notification is approved, you'll receive a Workplace Number via email.

Important Note: Even after notification approval, remember to check and comply with any additional requirements from other relevant authorities for your factory's premises.

Documents Required:

There are typically no additional documents required for notification besides the information you provide during the online application.


There are no fees involved in submitting a notification.


There's no physical certificate issued for notification. However, the acknowledgement letter you receive serves as confirmation of your notification submission.

Applying for Registration (High-Risk Activities):

The registration process for a Certificate of Registration (CR) is more complex and involves several steps:

How to Apply:

  1. GoBusiness Login: Similar to notification, log in to GoBusiness using your UEN.

  2. Registration Application: Navigate to the Factory Notification and Registration section and choose "Registration" for a Certificate of Registration (CR).

  3. Detailed Application: The online application for CR will be more detailed compared to notification. Be prepared to provide comprehensive information about your factory's operations.

  4. MHI Assessment (if applicable): Depending on the risk level of your activities, you might need to submit an additional Machinery and Hazardous Installations (MHI) Assessment Form during the application.

  5. Risk Management and Documents: You'll need to declare implementing a Safety and Health Management System (SHMS) during registration. Additional documents like Process Hazard Analysis (PHA) studies or Quantitative Risk Assessments (QRA) might be required.

  6. SHMS Audit: After starting operations, you'll need to engage an accredited WSH Auditing Organisation to audit your SHMS within two months. Submit the SHMS audit report as part of the registration process.

  7. Fee Payment and Processing: Once all documents are submitted, you'll receive a fee notice via email. Pay the fee through GoBusiness to proceed. Processing a CR application can take up to 6 months.

  8. Registration Certificate: Upon approval, you'll receive the official Certificate of Registration (CR) from MOM.

Documents Required:

The documents required for registration can vary depending on your factory's activities and risk level. Generally, you'll need:

  • Completed online application form

  • MHI Assessment Form (if applicable)

  • Documents related to your SHMS implementation

  • Process Hazard Analysis (PHA) studies or Quantitative Risk Assessments (QRA) (might be required)

  • SHMS audit report


After submitting all documents, you'll receive a fee notice for the CR application. You can pay the fee electronically through GoBusiness.


Upon approval, you'll receive an official notification from MOM confirming your Certificate of Registration (CR). This notification serves as your electronic certificate, and there's no physical copy issued.

Additional Resources:

Important Tip:

Refer to MOM's website to determine if your factory activities fall under notification or registration:

If you're unsure about the process or risk classification, contact MOM for clarification. Consider seeking professional assistance for CR applications to ensure a smooth process.

The breakdown of costs and processing times for Factory Notification and Registration in Singapore. Here's a quick summary for easy reference:


  • Factory Notification: Free (No processing fee)

  • Factory Registration (excluding MHIs): $45 to $2,340 (depending on work nature and worker count)

  • MHI Registration: $4,550 to $12,800 (depending on MHI class and dangerous substances)

Processing Time

  • Factory Notification: Immediate acknowledgement

  • One-time Factory Registration: 7 working days

  • Renewable Factory Registration (excluding MHIs): 1 month

  • MHI Registration: 6 months


  • Factory Notification: Lifetime

  • One-time Factory Registration: Lifetime

  • Renewable Factory Registration: 5 years

  • MHI Registration: 5 years

If you're unsure about your factory's classification (notification or registration) or need help navigating the process, refer to the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) website or contact them directly for clarification.

How Bestar can Help

Bestar, focused on company incorporation, accounting, bookkeeping, and auditing, can assist you with your factory notification or registration in Singapore. Here's how:

1. General Business Registration:

If you're just starting your factory and need help establishing your business entity in Singapore, Bestar can handle the incorporation process. This includes tasks like:

  • Choosing the appropriate business structure (sole proprietorship, partnership, etc.)

  • Registering your business name with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA)

  • Obtaining necessary licenses and permits (aside from factory registration)

2. Ensuring Financial Compliance:

Bestar can manage your company's finances to ensure they comply with Singapore's accounting standards. This includes:

  • Setting up a proper accounting system

  • Recording all financial transactions

  • Preparing financial statements (income statement, balance sheet, cash flow statement)

Having well-maintained financial records is crucial for factory registration. MOM might request these documents during the application process.

3. Other Services:

  • Taxation: Bestar can help you understand and comply with Singapore's corporate tax regulations. This can be beneficial in the long run as you operate your factory.

  • Payroll Services: Managing payroll for your factory workers can be a complex task. Bestar offers payroll services to streamline this process.

Bestar will handle the factory notification or registration. Our services can provide a solid foundation for your business and ensure you're financially prepared for the process.

Important Note:

The actual factory notification or registration must be done through the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) following their guidelines:

Remember, for complex factory registrations, especially those involving high-risk activities, consider seeking professional help from a WSH (Workplace Safety and Health) consultant. They can guide you through the specific requirements and ensure your factory adheres to safety regulations.

2 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

How to develop a catering business?

How to develop a catering business? How profitable is a catering business? What licenses are needed to start a catering business in Singapore? What are the start up costs for a catering business?


bottom of page